Show Me Missouri: Conversations about Missouri’s Past, Present, and Future is a speakers' bureau program jointly organized and managed by the Missouri Humanities Council and the State Historical Society of Missouri. The purpose of the Speakers’ Bureau is to promote public education for rural, urban, and suburban audiences throughout the state of Missouri. If your civic organization, museum, historical society, library, or similar institution or group is looking for an expert to give a presentation on a topic related to the history, culture, geography and/or people of Missouri, we hope you will consider what this program has to offer.
Most speakers are available to provide their programs in a virtual format. Please submit a speaker request and indicate that you are seeking a speaker for virtual event.
The Show Me Missouri Speakers' Bureau offers a selection of “basic programs,” which are presentations addressing topics chosen by our speakers. See the available speakers list to review the many options.
Yes, you may request a special presentation to be created for your group, but there will be an additional charge for this type of “custom” program (subject to availability of a scholar or expert willing to do the program).
Both non-profit and for-profit organizations can apply, but for-profit groups will have to pay a higher fee.
- Non-profit organizations with an annual budget of less than $50K: $75 per presentation
- Non-profit organizations with an annual budget over $50K: $100 per presentation
- For-profit organizations: $325 per presentation
- Non-profit organizations: $250 per custom program
- For-profit organizations: $500 per custom program
- Additional travel fee
Program fees must be paid in advance. Your reservation for a program will not be confirmed until a check for the full amount (including additional travel fee, if appropriate) has been received.
Reservations for a program must be made at least 60 days prior to the date of the presentation.
Yes. Any organization will be able to host only two speakers per year.
- Host organizations are asked to invite their legislators to the presentations.
- The minimum suggested audience for a small host organization is 15 people.
- The minimum suggested audience for a larger host organization is 25 people.
- A minimum of 45 minutes should be set aside for the presentation.
- An additional minimum of 15 minutes should be set aside for questions and discussion.
- Host organizations will not directly contact speakers. All arrangements will be made through the MHC.
For more information, or if you have questions about speakers or programs, contact Missouri Humanities Council at (314) 781-9660.