Community and Conflict – Impact of the Civil War in the Ozarks
The Springfield-Greene County Library District and several organizations throughout the Ozarks are working together to digitize Civil War era documents. Funded by a Library Services and Technology Act grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Missouri State Library, Community and Conflict strives to expand and enhance scholarship on the Ozarks by documenting how the Civil War changed life in the region.
The Civil War in many areas of the Trans-Mississippi theater have been relatively unnoticed by scholars, and few digitized materials are available from the region. As a result, the larger community does not fully understand the role the Ozarks played in the War. It is the goal of this project to unify collections scattered throughout the Ozarks by making them available to researchers online. This project focuses on the consequences and effects of the war on community, families, economy, and culture.
This digital collection is designed to eliminate barriers to access by providing historical letters, journals, diaries, court cases and other materials to researchers online. These collections tell the stories and explore the many facets of life during the most turbulent time in the history of the Ozarks.
|Counties of the Southwest Region|
- Allen, Wellington, Reminiscence, 1885 (C0692)
- Branson, William W., Diary, 1861-1862 (C0218)
- Battle of Wilson’s Creek, Memoir, 1934 (C0757)
- Dunlap Family, Papers, 1780-2002, (C4004)
- Missouri. Militia, Enrolled Missouri Militia, 4th Military District, Order Book, 1862-1863, (C1099)
- Kullman, Frederick August, 1843-1893. Papers, 1855-1980 (R0120)
- Rainwater and Fowler families, papers, 1863-1939 (R0227)
- Skaggs, Henry Ellison, 1831-1899. Papers, 1862-1895 (R0247)
- Steen, A[lexander] E., Papers, 1861-1862 (C2454)
- Wright, Clark. Papers, 1861-1863. (R0523)
- Thompson, Elizabeth Remay Dabbs. Papers, 1850-1932 (R0671)
- Ruark, Ozias, Papers, 1864-1865, (C2651)
- Bushnell, Douglas Ritchie, 1824-1863. Letters, 1861-1866 (R0675)