Description: The preservation intern will assist the conservator with various projects in the conservation lab ranging from making custom boxes to performing a condition survey on a large collection of documents. The intern will gain experience preserving historical collections by:
- Learning proper handling, care, and storage of archival collections
- Digitally photographing items before and after treatment, and writing condition reports
- Conserving damaged items through treatments like surface cleaning and mending tears
- Desire to pursue career in archives, library, or museum field
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent hand skills/dexterity
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with others
Preservation internships are offered at the Columbia Research Center only. The position is on-site and unpaid.
This internship may be completed for credit if approved by your program.
To apply please email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.