Location: Cape Girardeau, Columbia*, Kansas City, Rolla, St. Louis, or Springfield.
*Archive and library internships at the Columbia Research Center are suspended until Fall 2019.
Description: The Archives and Library intern will gain hands-on experience in processing, cataloging, digitizing, and learning preservation methods for small- to medium-size archival collections.
This opportunity is available to a limited number of students pursuing a history or library science degree with a concentration or interest in archival studies/preservation. An internship/practicum requiring specific criteria for credit can be accommodated.
- Learn proper document handling and care.
- Assist with assessment and organization of documents.
- Survey and process collections, including creating finding aids.
- Perform basic preservation including rehousing of materials.
- Digitize archival materials.
- Desire to pursue career in archives or library field.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs.
Archive and library internships are offered at the State Historical Society Research Centers in Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Kansas City, Rolla, St. Louis, and Springfield. The position is on-site and unpaid.
This internship may be completed for credit if approved by your program.
To apply please email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.