The State Historical Society of Missouri (SHSMO) invites you to share your pandemic experience with us. As a community, we are all going through this pandemic together. Individually, however, the health crisis has affected each of us differently. We all have unique stories to share. Please consider telling us your story in an effort to document for future generations the impact a worldwide pandemic has had on both your community and on you as an individual. Your story and observations are important.
We are looking for materials that document your experience in self-isolation/quarantine, working essential jobs, working from home, homeschooling, and your personal medical experiences during this time. How has your life changed during the pandemic?
Submissions can be in the following forms:
- Writings (journal and diary entries, reflective essays, emails, letters, etc.)
- Responses to writing prompts
- Photos, images, and memes
- Audio (oral histories, voice memos, etc.)
- Any other materials that document your experience.
If you have any questions about making a submission or about something you have already submitted, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have developed some writing prompts for you to use, though you are not required to use these. They are provided as a tool to help you get started.
- When did you first hear about COVID-19?
- Where do you primarily get your information about local, state, national, and global events? Newspaper, television, internet, social media? Be specific.
- Have you or anyone you know been directly impacted by COVID-19? (i.e. healthcare worker, first responder, grocery store/food service/package delivery/other essential employee, quarantined for symptoms, hospitalized)
- How have/did your day-to-day activities change(d) due to illness, stay-at-home orders, work from home, school/daycare closure?
- Have you or someone you know been furloughed/lost your (their) job due to economic conditions brought on by COVID-19?
- Have your opinions of COVID-19 changed over the course of the pandemic?
- How do you feel about the response of government officials (local, state, federal) to address issues connected with COVID-19?
- What observations have you noticed in your community during the pandemic?
- How has life changed for you, including the positive and negative?
- What are your fears and hopes in looking to the future post-pandemic?
Submit Physical Materials
If you have physical materials to contribute, hard copies may be sent (along with this form) to:COVID-19 Pandemic in Missouri Project
Center for Missouri Studies
The State Historical Society of Missouri
605 Elm Street
Columbia, MO 65201
Submit Digital Materials