The State Historical Society of Missouri administers National History Day in Missouri. Thousands of students in grades 6-12 participate in the program each year, with nearly 3,000 competing in regional contests throughout Missouri and 500 advancing to the state contest, held at the University of Missouri in April. Students conduct extensive research on a historical topic that they choose and present findings by creating documentaries, exhibits, papers, performances, or websites, all while meeting Missouri Learning Standards.
Thanks to Missouri Humanities, the State Historical Society of Missouri is able to offer a paid National History Day in Missouri internship for the spring 2023 semester!
Location: Anywhere (remote projects available); must be present in Columbia, Missouri, during the state contest.
Date of internship: January 17-April 30, 2023 (spring 2023 semester)
Salary: This is a paid internship. The selected student will receive $1,400 for one semester of work.
Deadline to apply: November 15, 2022
Description: The National History Day in Missouri intern will work with the education team on a variety of initiatives and events. In this role, the intern will:
- Collaborate on marketing/promotion initiatives.
- Create content for social media.
- Coordinate details for National History Day events and outreach, including regional and state contests.
- Contribute to new public history programming ideas for diverse audiences.
- Develop resources for teachers and students in grades 6-12.
- MUST be an undergraduate or graduate student in the field of the humanities.
- MUST be able to work the National History Day state contest (in-person) on April 22, 2023, in Columbia, Missouri.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated research skills.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Knowledge of virtual platforms such as Zoom, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Familiarity with youth programming and public history preferred.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume/CV, and one letter of recommendation to email@example.com.