Scotland County was organized in 1841. The county seat is Memphis. The collections listed below deal in some manner with Scotland County. This list is not comprehensive, so be sure to browse collection descriptions by subject.
*Collections marked with DIGITIZED MATERIALS have additional digitized items available.
Agriculture Stabilization and Conservation Service Aerial Photographs, (P0335)
107.5 linear feet
Missouri county aerial photographs produced by the Agriculture Stabilization and Conservation Service.
Bankert, Zetta E. (1905-1979), Collection, 1945-1976, (C4060)
0.75 linear feet
The Zetta E. Bankert collection consists of photographs and her manuscript about vacant houses in Missouri entitled, "This, My House." The collection also contains research material, letters to publishers, personal photographs, negatives, maps of Missouri counties, and miscellaneous material.
Brown, Robert C., Photograph Collection, (P0004)
Photographs of Missouri railroad depots, primarily for the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Railroad. Photographs relating to A.F. Schliecker of Kansas City, Missouri.
Buckner, John, Papers, n.d., (C1878)
The papers contain information concerning John Buckner and his slave, Abe, their service in the Civil War, and settlement in Scotland County, Missouri, in the 1870s.
Downey, Maxine Rorabaugh, Photograph Collection, (P0045)
Black and white snapshot of students outside of Prairie View School #27; all students and teacher from 1912-1913 school year listed. Snapshot of exterior front Prairie View School #27.
Guitar, Sarah (1892-1963), Collection, n.d., (C3391)
1.5 cubic feet, 5 card boxes
Card file compiled by Sarah Guitar, reference librarian of the State Historical Society of Missouri, as a guide to county boundaries of Missouri, 1812-1929; Missouri congressional district boundaries, 1845-1933; Missouri senatorial districts, 1820-1931; and Missouri judicial circuits, 1815-1915.
Hayden, Jacob J., Letter, 1868, (C1554)
From Scotland County, MO, June 7, 1868. Hayden wrote an army buddy about his return home after the Civil War . His property was claimed by his brother, a Union man. Family news, marriage, birth of children, farming, county fair, crops, and Hayden family genealogy.
James, David A. (1937- ) Papers, 1790-2008, (C4126)
5 cubic feet
The research material of a hotel management instructor whose work resulted in the publication Historic Hotels of Missouri: Hotels, Inns, and Taverns of 19th Century Missouri.
Lee, Richard L. (1925-2011), County Courthouse Photographs, ca. 1955, (P0003)
The collection includes photographs of county courthouses for the state of Missouri, taken in the mid-twentieth century by Richard L. Lee.
Missouri Extension Homemakers Association, Inc., "Sacred Stones and Stained Glass Windows," Project, 1977-1980, (C3723)
7.1 cubic feet
Statewide documentation of local churches by county. Includes cultural arts reports, church histories, floor plans, architectural details, clippings, slides, photographs, and miscellany.
Missouri Place Names Study, 1927-1928 (C3459)
0.6 linear feet
Correspondence, term papers, and information collected by graduate students at the University of Missouri during a study of the origin and history of place names in forty-two Missouri counties.
Missouri, Scotland County. Justice of the Peace, Docket, 1841-1848, (C1245)
The collection contains a justice of the peace docket from Maidenkirk Township, Scotland County, Missouri. Includes names of defendants and plaintiffs and outcome of the cases. Some stray livestock records.
Presbytery of Missouri, Minutes, 1920-1943, (C1353)
0.2 linear feet
The records contain official copies of minutes of the Presbytery of Missouri. Minutes for 1920-1939 are bound; others are in pamphlet form.
Presbytery of Missouri Records, 1817-1920, (C1354)
1.4 linear feet, 6 oversize volumes
The records of the Presbytery of Missouri contain minutes, reports, and other records of an organization composed of ministers and representative elders of Presbyterian churches in Missouri. Volumes 1-6 have been microfilmed. Volume 7 is available onsite. See also collection C1353.
Ramsay Place Names File 1928-1945, (C2366)
12 cubic feet
Card file of origins of Missouri place names, compiled by students of Robert L. Ramsay, University of Missouri professor of English.
State Historical Society of Missouri, Typescript Collection, (C0995)
774 items on 14 rolls of microfilm
The State Historical Society of Missouri Typescript Collection consists of typescripts of articles and manuscripts donated over the years to the Historical Society.
State of Missouri Collection, (P0018)
Over 400 original photos created for the 1904 publication on Missouri at the time of the World's Fair by Walter Williams; shows all aspects and counties in Missouri.
U.S. Selective Service System, Missouri, Records, 1917-1918, (C2681)
445 folders negative Photostats, 8.7 cubic feet
Lists of persons by county and district selective service boards whose cards were held by those boards. Arranged alphabetically by county.
U.S. Work Projects Administration, "Church Bibliography, Baptist Bodies of Missouri, Associational Minutes," 1941, (C1312)
The collection contains a list of the various Baptist associations in Missouri and the dates for which their records are in existence.
U.S. Work Projects Administration, Historical Records Survey, Missouri, 1935-1942, (C3551)
302 linear feet; also available on 817 rolls of microfilm
Correspondence, records, and working files. Originally designed to survey and inventory all county government records, the survey finally included inventories of church records, manuscript collections, vital statistics, American imprints, and federal archives. Incorporates records of the Federal Writers Project for Missouri.
World War II Letters, 1941-1945, (C3222)
2 cubic feet
This collection of World War II letters was collected by W.W. Gillespie for publication in the Memphis Revielle, a weekly newspaper in Scotland County, Missouri, and by Frederick Tainter for publication in the Bugle, published monthly in St. Charles, Missouri. Also included are letters collected by the State Historical Society of Missouri in 1946 from various donors. Most are concerned with acknowledging receipt of the letter.